Change is inevitable, and in the tech world, it is highly recommended. We must keep ourselves and our digital platforms up-to-date to keep our competitors at bay and our end-users closers. In this post, we bring towards you everything that you need to know about the latest Node.js version 14 release: all about the new features included and how you can update your Node.js application to the upgraded version.
Upgrading to the latest Node.js V 14 shall aid your application’s improved performance, and you shall gain new users.
Table of Contents
1. Node.js V14 New Features
2. How To Upgrade Node Version 14 on Linux System
- a. Using Node Version Manager NVM
- b. Using Node Package Manager NPM
- c. Using Binary Packages
3. Upgrade Node Latest Version 14 on macOS and Windows System
- a. Using Installer
- b. Using Node Package Manager NPM
4. How Bacancy Technology helps you?
- a. Node.js Team Augmentation Model
- b. Node.js Folder Structure
What’s New in Node.js 14?
Take a look at the distinguishing features of Node.js with the latest version 14 release.
✪ Stable Diagnostic Report
The Diagnostic report that was an experiment in the Node.js version 12, comes as a stable release in V14. With the help of this diagnostic report, you can generate a report on-demand as a specific event takes place.
Developers can easily enable diagnostic reports by adding a command-line option.
✪ Experimental Async Local Storage API
The continuation of local storage started as an experiment in the previous versions and is now proven to be a crucial use case of the Async Hooks in version 14 of Node.js. Though it was backported in the last version 13.10, Async Local Storage is now available for you in the form of an API.
In the current version of Node, the Streams API has undergone consistent changes so that developers can overcome the complex behavior and experience a rich streaming functionality. If your Node.js application relies majorly on streams, we recommend you test your app with the latest Node version 14 update.
✪ Web Assembly System Interface
Node 14.x release supports an experimental initiative for Web Assembly System Interface WASI, which can drastically simplify the experience of native modules. Developers and end-users get cross-platform support and improved performance with this trial feature.
✪ Removal of Experimental Modules Warning
In the Node.js 13 release, you would get an unlikely warning message when you use Ecma Script Module ESM, which is now eradicated in the V14 update. Yes, it is experimental and may not be backward compatible, making it cautious about using in production environments.
✪ New Compiler and platform minimums
With every new release of Node.js, there are specific pre-built binaries and minimum toolchains for various platforms. WIth Node.js V14, we have minimum macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Linux GCC 6, and Windows with End-of-Life distributions.
How to Upgrade Node Version 14?
We have compiled a step-by-step process for upgrading your NodeJS application version to V14 for both
(i). Linux System
(ii). Windows and macOS systems
Update Node on Linux Systems
There are 3 variants available for you to update your Node version on the Linux system: via Node Version Manager NVM, with Node Package Manager NPM, and using Binary Packages. Let us check out each option, and you may use whichever way you may like.
A. Update your Node app using Node Version Manager NVM
You can manage multiple versions of Node.js using NVM, and it is ideally the most suitable way to update your Node.js application. Here is a step-by-step explanation of how you can upgrade your Node.js project on Linux using NVM:
1) Use the following command to update the package repository,
2) You need to download the dependencies by using this command.
3) Use the curl command to install Node Version Manager NVM.
4) The next step is to close and then reopen the terminal.
5) Just check if you have installed NVM appropriately,
6) Check the current version of usage in your system,
7) Next, you can check which new releases are available,
8) Finally, you should choose the latest version 14 with the nvm install command.
B. Upgrade your Node application with Node Package Manager NPM
An alternative method of updating your Node.js application is by using the official Node Package Manager NPM. Developers can install and manage dependencies in this method.
As your system incorporates Node, you are aware of NPM along with it. So, you can interact and manage with the Node version using the n module. Find out the chronological method here:
1) First of all, you need to clear your npm cache
2) Next, you need to install the Node’s version manager n
3) As you have the n module installed, you can install the latest stable version using n stable, latest release using n latest and install a specific Node version using n [version.number].
C. Use Binary Packages to update your Node Application
The last option and the least preferable one is to update your Node.js using the binary packages.
1) Reach the official Node download page, where you will find all the packages available. Over here, you can get the source code or the LTS version installer.
2) So download it from your browser or use the wget command:
3) Extract the binary package using the install xz-utils:
4) Use the following command to extract and install the package.
tar -C /usr/local –strip-components 1 -xJf node-v14.5.0-linux-x64.tar.xz
Update Node.js on Windows and macOS
If you are using Windows or macOS systems, updating your Node.js application works on the same principles. Let us find out the two ways you can upgrade to Node.js V14: Installer and NPM.
A. Update Node app on Windows and macOS using Installer
The first way of updating your Node to V14 is by using the Installer. As you go on the official download page of Node.js, you get to download the latest Node version, which replaces and overwrites your older version.
1) Go on the website → Download section, and click on the LTS latest stable version or the current latest features.
2) Depending on your system, click on the macOS directory or Windows. Your system will download the package in the specific directory.
3) You can run the installer, as the download is executed.
4) Next, you will get to see the Wizard that will help you through your installation.
5) You just need to accept the terms & conditions and press next.
6) You will have to select the directory where you want to install the Node update.
7) You can customize the features that you get along with the updated version by clicking on the icon tree.
8) And you are ready with the installation steps. Just be patient until the process completes, and then you may click the Finish button.
9) You can check whether the latest version is updated on your system or not with this command:
However, the above manner or updating the Node version may turn up by storing two different Node versions on your system, which is confusing. So, in that case, you should upgrade using the Node Package Manager NPM.
B. Update Node.js using Node Package Manager NPM on Windows & macOS
You’re going to use the n model with npm command to update the Node.js version on your Windows or macOS.
1) Primarily check the current Node version in your system.
2) The second thing you need to do is to clear the npm cache.
3) Then you need to install n globally:
4) Next, install the latest stable version of Node.js release.
Also, you can alternatively install the latest features of Node.js.
How Can Bacancy Help You?
Node.js is an ideal technology framework for your Web Application Development in 2020 for its Business Benefits. Go through the Top 7 reasons to choose Node.js for your upcoming project this year. And especially, if you have to build an eCommerce application, Node.js is the first and foremost choice. The ardent Node.js developers at Bacancy have found a solution for How to Make Your NodeJS Application Secure with 24 Best Practices.
Node.js Team Augmentation Model
We offer you the Node.js Team Augmentation Model to help you attain your targets. As your ongoing project team grows its requirements, we lend you a helping hand in your success journey. You should consider us as your one-stop solution when you want to hire a single developer or planning to expand your team offshore. Our expert Node.js developers work for you distinctly as your hired dedicated employees.
This way, you can outsource your project development with us simply and straightforwardly. You can conduct as many interviews as you may please with our developers and then take the decision. Once we sign an NDA agreement with you, our Node.js developer/s will dedicatedly work for your business growth.
Node.js Folder Structure
Our Node.js developers have a rich experience working on a broad range of products and, hence, possess a vast skill-set. With exclusive front-end technologies, our proactive developers help you enhance the user experience of your Node.js applications.
Check out the ideal code structure for our Node.js app development.
The reason for using an open-source technology framework is that with the community support, you can always stand an updated and upgraded version of your project development software. One such example is the Node.js platform, where either you can work on the LTS (long-term supported version) or the latest version with all the new features. As Bacancy Technology is a leading Node.js development company, we assure you that our agile developers and project managers will get your targets with a performant Node.js application.