What Is Staff Augmentation?
Staff augmentation is a modern outsourcing strategy to hire remote developers as an extended arm to upscale and upskill your core IT team. You have the freedom to choose the extra talent that perfectly fits your requirements and can help you boost your project and complete the development on time.
Based on your project requirements, you can add technical resources for a short and long term basis. The organization directly provides the resources so the time of finding the right talent and cost of hiring for the full-time can be eliminated. Remote developers can be hired through staff augmentation companies to achieve business goals, reduce costs, and accelerate growth.
There are numbers of scenarios where IT organizations are leveraging IT staff augmentation, services:
- Strengthen up the IT Staff: Upskill and upscale your It staff to fulfill varied business requirements.
- Bridge the Talent Gap: For a specific project outsource dedicated client-centric development team.
- Specialized Skills: Integrate skilled and experienced resources as team extension of your IT team to get your product to market faster.
- Peace of Mind: Staff augmentation solution can help you address your extra engineering skills by outsourcing motivated, productive, and talented resources.
Staff augmentation model is globally renowned and incredibly common, and as per the SIA – the global staffing market generated nearly $500 Billion revenue back in 2019. Freelancing is another staff augmentation talent. But, more and more organizations prefer to choose staff augmentation companies to outsource remote resources instead of freelancers because the organization ensures – availability, reliability, and quality. Considering the present situation of the Coronavirus outbreak, it a viable option to take into consideration.
When Team Augmentation is Right for my Business:
(1) You already have IT engineers developing your product from your own state-of-the-art development center. Still, you are looking for an extended arm with the different skill set to develop the front-end or back-end of your project. Let’s say you have 2 ongoing projects, where for one project, you require 1 IT professionals, and for another, you require a team of tech professionals, but due to the high cost of developers and shortage in the local market, you are helpless. This is where outsourcing can help you grow at your convenience without a burning hole in your pocket during challenging times.
(2) You are developing a cutting-edge digital product with a team of top-tier developers, and you are required to add new developers into your existing team, but the specific skillset you are looking to hire is rare in your region, and you have to extend your search to other locations.
(3) You outsource your project to a software development company, but the progress and output are not expected, and it does not fit for several reasons. You want to directly access the developers who can work according to your vision and are equally motivated, just like in-house developers.
What Is the Difference Between Staff Augmentation Services and Managed IT Services?
Staff Augmentation Services
Businesses are accepting Team Augmentation to evolve on a global scale by adding greater professional skills for a specific duration. Location is no longer a restriction for hiring technical talent, and such new opportunities are boosting the scale-ups to grow. It is a far better option than investing in permanent recruitments. Also, developers are happily welcoming this level of flexibility. Many of the tech-aspirants are looking for the comfort and satisfaction of work, they like to work in their particular zones, and Team Extension is giving them the opportunity.
Staff augmentation also eliminates the undue burden of rigorous recruitment drive as it is often taken care of by the service provider. This model is highly recommendable and beneficial for SMEs who do not want to invest in operational costs, especially for their offshore projects.
Managed IT Services
On the other hand, managed service is also renown as it helps with absolute control of a project, right from recruitment to training of professionals best tools and processes are employed to achieve client satisfaction. Managed service providers offer round the clock monitoring reporting and issue resolution services – their charges are based on a flat fee of delivery and their services over a set of time periods.
In short, managed service is a strategic consultative and life-cycle approach; it is also known as an off-premier service approach where everything is taken care of by MSP to function according to their procedure to deliver their commitment.
Key Differences Between Staff Augmentation and Managed IT services:
⦿ Staff augmentation is ideal for SMEs who want to scale up the operations while maintaining cost-effectiveness.
⦿ Managed services are perfect for goal-oriented outcome needs.
⦿ Staff augmentation requires a high degree of autonomy in management and software development operations.
⦿ While partnering with MSP, the project autonomy depends on the parent company to the MSP.
⦿ Generally, there’s a short term relationship between the service provider and the service seeker.
⦿ Usually, it involves large-scale projects, and the relationship between an MSP and the parent company is long term.
⦿ Personnel scalability offers varied options in terms of increasing skilled professionals
⦿ Processes Scalability is based on complete consultation when it comes to scaling business operations.
So both models have their own strengths and weakness to address and fulfill the needs of different businesses. So it is advisable to choose the right model weighing the benefits. If you are seeking for a long term partnership then it is advisable to go for managed IT services, for a specific skill set and time period requirement, it is advisable to opt IT staff augmentation.
How Does IT Staff Augmentation Model Work?
For the IT staff augmentation majority of the companies involve three core steps.
(1) Identification of the skill gap
At this stage for the ongoing project, the company determines the skill gap and opt for remote specialists on a contract basis for a specific time period instead of hiring the developer for a long-time.
(2) Onboarding of recruited staff
Once your choice of the developer is hired, the next step is onboarding process to get acquainted with the in-house team and fuse into the project along with other team members.
(3) Nurturing of augmented staff
This stage involves continuous learning and development of new augmented IT staff to deliver the exceptional value and expected result
How to Choose the Right Staff Augmentation Company?
The following are the seven steps you should take into consideration to find the right staff augmentation partner.
1. Determine the skill gap.
2. Identify the type of services you need – long- or short-term – based on your project requirements.
3. Offshore outsourcing is a globally favorable option; India and Ukraine are the popular names when it comes to an opting offshore development company.
4. Determine the time zone difference, travel routes, and pocket-friendly rates.
5. Identify the best staff augmentation company validating their portfolio and their development process. Give Agile software development, special attention, and importance.
6. Make sure to authenticate testimonials and references.
7. Sign an NDA
Whether you need one developer or a team, we are offering flexible team augmentation services to enhance your business growth. We have helped numbers of clients to bridge the demand-supply gap by offering top-tier front-end and back-end engineers backed by client-centric service focus. We are offering industry-leading junior, mid-level, and senior talent to fulfill your project and business requirements. Leverage our top-notch IT staff augmentation services to ensure the smooth integration of remote developers into your existing team to help your business grow.
IT Staff Augmentation Services: FAQs
Why should you consider IT staff augmentation?
IT staff augmentation is also known as subcontracting that lets you primarily outsource manpower on a skill requirement basis for a limited period of time. Staff augmentation is not only an ideal option but a viable choice for the IT organizations looking for extra talent to scale quickly with a strategic vision. This model helps to fulfill the deadlines in the budgetary requirements
What are the benefits of staff augmentation?
(1) IP rights security: All the IP rights belong to you.
(2) Flexibility: Easy to scale up and down the resources and access to a wide talent pool of IT professionals – front-end developers, back-end developers, full-stack developers, and UX/UI designers and developers.
(3) Cost efficiency: You don’t have to worry about administrative and organizational expenses
What does a Full Stack Developer do?
The choice of Outsourcing mostly arises from the company’s prime objective of requirements to fill the gap. Some of the reasons that entrepreneurs are now choosing Staff Augmentation over the project-based outsourcing model are:
(1) Extending your technical team saves your time and money through expeditious developer integration.
(2) Staff Augmentation improves the quality of the project under development under the skilled hands of dedicated team members.
(3) You can have complete authority over the project, along with the benefits of an external team.
(4) You get the flexibility of scaling your project to all your needs and requirements.
(5) There are no limitations over the skilled workforce.