Web and app development has become an integral part of today’s tech-driven era. There are web and mobile applications for almost every single thing. Though using web application is easy as a cake walk, creating them is a tough nut to crack. There are hundreds of codes and millions of testing behind a successfully running web and mobile application.
Well, the launch of Ruby on Rails came as a blessing as it reduces the drudgery of codes writing in web and mobile app development. This one particular expertise helps the developers to create a successful app with reducing efforts. That is why ROR (Ruby on Rail) developers are in high demand these days.
But, the legit question here is:
Is it easy to hire ruby on rails developers?
No. But we can help you out in this.
1. Ruby skills
Can you build a Skyscraper on a weak foundation?
The answer is definitely “No”. That is the same case with Ruby on Rails.
To develop a website, you need to write code and Ruby is what that makes it happen. All the frameworks of the rails are written on Ruby language only.
Ruby is the base of any further advanced Ruby on Rails operations. If the base is strong, the final outcome is going to be impressive by default. Thus, it is imperative to check what sorts of Ruby skills the aspiring candidate has. Now, in Ruby as well what you need to check. Here is the answer.
- The knowledge of syntax- Just as any other language, web programming also comes with its own set of syntax. Here, the syntax is writing loops, class, and modules. Your ideal candidate should know how to write the conditional statement of a program and to declare a constructor in Ruby. S/he should be aware of all the Ruby callbacks and know how to implement in the real-time world.
- Great hold of OOP- OOP or Object Oriented Programming is an important part of Ruby of Rail development as it helps a ROR developer to the virtual view of the codes. OOP is highly essential to check the compatibility of codes with each other and knows how they are going to work in a real-time world. So, when you are going to hire ruby on rails developer, make sure s/he should know the basic difference between inheritance vs composition, know how to create lambdas and other OOP aspects.
2. Ruby on Rails skills
Can you hire someone who is not a master of a trade?
No. Absolutely not! So, it is very important that your ideal candidate should be well-learned about the basic to advanced Ruby on Rails concepts and principles. Some of the key principle expertise to look out while you going to hire ruby on rails developer are:
- MVC Framework- MVC or Model/View/Controller framework is the key structure used in Ruby on Rails. It is written in Ruby and is widely used in web development. If you wish to have a mobile/web app that should rule over the hearts of the uses then it is very important that your ROR developer should be well-versed in it. S/he should know which layer dos what, how to insert your business logic and structure the app.
- ActiveRecord- Data persistent is an imperative part of web development. In Ruby on Rails, ActiveRecord is what take cares of it. ActiveRecord is basically a Ruby library that helps you working over the Rational SQL database. It is also important for Object Relational Mapping. Without having knowledge of this, your ruby on rails developer will be only half good.
- REST API- REST is a web protocol for data exchange and transfer. All the applications require an API to work par excellence. RESTAPIs are preferred over traditional APIs such as SOAP because of its simple processing and easy configuration. So, check whether the candidate knows how to do a POST, GET, PUT and DELETE data transactions in REST or not before you finish hire ruby on rails developer process.
3. Front-end development skills
- HTML- While working on Ruby on Rails, you are going to write HTML after HTML. Without this, your ROR developer will not be able to perform better. So make sure your ideal candidate has impeccable HTML skills. S/he should know how to write < h1 >, < p >, < div >, < span > tags and use them.
- CSS- HTML without better presentation is only half good. CSS or Cascading Style Sheets is what you require for this. It is one of the key pre-requisite skill that every front-end developer should have.
4. Database skills
Just as a train can’t run without an engine, no web/mobile app development can take place without the database. In the case of Ruby on Rails, the key databases are SQL and PostgreSQL/MYSQL.
- SQL- Some sort of expertise in SQL is what desired in every case of a web developer. Though in the case of Ruby on Rails, ActiveRecord would be writing SQL codes for you, your ROR developer should be well-versed in that to handle any downfall and know the logs well and concisely.
- PostgreSQL/MYSQL- MYSQL is one of the most famed database engines that is never going to lose its significance in the world of web development. That is why your ruby on rails developer should be well-versed in this database engine. PostgreSQL is an advanced version and its knowledge is an added advantage.
5. Tools handling skills
Website development is not an easy task. It demands tons of resources and the right use of tools used to bring a successful web application into being. While you are hunting for the best ROR developer for you, make sure s/he is well versed in below-mentioned tools.
- Git– Being a de-facto standard for version control, Git is a must-have tool for code management. Though other version control systems such as Mercurial and Subversion also exists, the love for Git is not hidden. Your ROR developer should know to create new branches in Git and push the codes into it.
- Docker, Cl, and Heroku- These are the basic deployment tools that every ROR developer is going to use during the web application formation.
- Trello/Asana/Pivotal- If you are into the project and ticket management web application development then make sure your ROR developer should know how to use Trello/Asana/Pivota. These are the tools specifically designed for project and ticket management website development. The knowledge of these tools will help you leverage your web development process.
6. Testing and validation skills
Before any real-time launch, your web application should pass the regress testing. If your ROR developer is not able to test the end-product then his whole work holds no significance. Unit testing is one such imperative skill that ensures that the end product is all set to come into publics’ eyes. Make sure that your ideal ROR developer knows how to run dummy commands, and identify the loopholes.
RSpec is one of the most famed testing tools in Ruby on Rails. Most of the website development companies pick it because of ease of usage and clarity. It gives a clear picture of your testing. So, make sure that your prospected ROR developer has some expertise in RSpec.
7. Passionate about programming
One of the last yet important skills that your ROR developer should have is a passion for programming. Programming is not as easy as it sounds. It is highly grueling and daunting. If s/he is not passionate about codes generation and perform endless testing than chances are high that they will soon stop loving it.
Hire ruby on rails developers of high merits and credibility is not easy. You can find out the best of all for your company by looking out the key front-end, back-end, and core skills. Our short guide must have helped you in this, definitely.