There is no such thing as the best programming language. There are languages that are used for more specific things than others. If you need a mobile application, web, or a more specialized system, there may be a specific language. But let’s think that for the moment what you need is a relatively simple website, where you can show your client’s products and maybe sell them online efficiently.
In this article, we have chosen to evaluate Node.JS and Python to help you decide on the ideal programming solution.
- Lightning fast execution of web applications: Who does not know, you click on a button or link on a website and you get to see a loading bar. It takes minutes felt. At the same time, nobody wants to wait that long. With Node.JS you can create web applications that are very fast in execution. In most cases, it does not even take loading time.
- Scalability: Node.JS can be used to write scalable applications that can handle a very large number of connections/requests at the same time (keyword: non-blocking I/O).
Disadvantages of Node.JS
- Not designed for compute-intensive tasks: When it comes to CPU-heavy tasks that use a lot of computing power and Node.JS is definitely not the way to go.
- Often missing backward compatibility: When new versions of Node.JS are released, it may be necessary to adjust the existing code so that everything will continue to function normally. This lack of backward compatibility can be seen in many JS technologies, such as Angular. There you had to partially completely rewrite the code to switch from Angular 1 to Angular 2.
- No ready-made technology: Technologies like PHP or ASP.NET have been around for many years. PHP, for example, has been around for more than 20 years. N is only developed since 2009 and one can speak of an immature technology. So if you use N in projects, then you should assume that extra work can be spent on programming, simply because N is still in flux.
Python is a high-level general purpose programming language created by Guido van Rossum whose first real was released in 1991. It is an interpreted language, oriented to readability and offering the ability to do a lot with very few lines of code.
Python is ideal for working with large volumes of data because it favors its extraction and processing, being chosen by Big Data companies. At the scientific level, it has a wide library of resources with special emphasis on mathematics for aspiring programmers in specialized areas. It is also useful to create video games thanks to its dynamism and simplicity, although in the case of an interpreted programming language it is slower than Node.JS. Beyond the function you give it. Python has a community of very active users who constantly share their knowledge and resources in line.
Advantages of Python
- Portable: It is a highly portable programming language (except with some specific libraries); For example, a program can be written on a Linux platform and run on any other platform such as Mac, Windows, Raspberry Pi, etc.
- Well documented: The official documentation is very complete and the “other” is found far and wide on the internet.
- Syntax: It’s simple and easy to remember.
- Calculative: It has arithmetic types of arbitrary precision, that is, when doing arithmetic operations we should not worry about type overflow.
- Knowledge base: Also has countless standard libraries (that come with any distribution) and others more developed by the community.
Disadvantages of Python
- Non-compiled: Despite being relatively fast, it hardly competes in this department with Node.JS; this is mainly due to the fact of being interpreted (there is no compilation process and therefore there are no optimizations at this level)
As compared to Python, Node.JS solves the problem of changing the way a connection is made to the server. Instead of generating a new OS thread for each connection (and assigning the accompanying memory), each connection triggers an event execution within the Node.JS engine process. Node.JS also claims that it will never stay in neutral, because blocking is not allowed and because it is not blocked directly for I/O calls.
Both Node.JS and Python, today are highly demanded in the market, increasing their popularity within a considerable number of startups. When developing any project, we can choose between both, considering their potential, as they are: the type of application, the speed of development and the scalability.
If you are the owner of a small business, you already have many things to worry about and even if your website is your main source of income, the easier it is for you, the better.
Whenever you start a web project in Node.JS or Python, be sure to hire Node.js developer or Python development company who has experience in Node.JS or Python development to help you make the best decision for the success of your business.