This is part two of a three-part series why is Laravel framework suitable for building “enterprise-grade” web applications. This Blog is a continuation of my previous blog, before moving onto this check out Part 1 if you would like to gain some fundamental knowledge about the basics of Laravel.
“In Part 2, you’ll learn about the latest features, enterprise benefits, and business benefits of this platform from the perspective of an entrepreneur.”
Laravel is clean, classy and most advanced PHP framework that has taken the PHP community by storm with every year new version update. It is becoming one of the most secure and productive frameworks as it is authenticating and enabling dynamic use all around.
Laravel 5.8 From Scratch: Initial Setup Requirements
Server Requirements for Installing Laravel 5.8
- BCMath PHP extension
- Ctype PHP extension
- JSON PHP extension
- OpenSSL PHP extensionv
- PHP: 7.1.3 or greaterv
- PDO PHP extension
- Mbstring PHP extension
- Tokenizer PHP extension
- XML PHP extension
Right after installing the latest version, you can optimize the Laravel performance and make the framework more secure as well as powerful. This is what you will get after installing the latest version of Laravel.
Important Updates and Features that rolled out with Laravel 5.8
To run the environment on your large-scale project, Laravel supports new Dotenv 3.0 as it supports the strings in .env file.
Other significant included features are:
- Support for multiline variables
- Upon your requirement, you can flexibly read and modify the parts of the environment
- No more trimming of values
- Stronger validation of variable names to avoid obscure errors
- Accepts the list of paths through .env file instead of working on a single path
Update Email Validation
There are email validation rules in Laravel. However, the latest validation ensures that email fulfills RFC5630 compliant rules.
If you are following the listed below email validation code, then there are changes to fail in the previous version, but the latest version gets it done successfully.
$request->validate([ 'email' => 'email', ]);
Blade Template File Path in the Compiled file
The latest version comes with a solution that Laravel was lacking in its previous versions. Laravel now accumulates the blade file.
< ?php /* /var/www/me/5.8/blog/resources/views/welcome.blade.php */ ? > < !doctype html > < html lang="< ?php echo e(str_replace('_', '-', app()- >getLocale())); ? >" > < head > < meta charset="utf-8" > < meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" > < title >Laravel< /title > < !-- Fonts -- > < link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Nunito:200,600" rel="stylesheet" >
Laravel Error Page
The updated version comes with new error pages so the web application does not require to re-design as such errors perfectly fit right as per the new update.
Cache TTL in Seconds Change
If your application is using the updated version of Laravel, then take into consideration that passing an integer to the cache function will apply the live changes in seconds.
Cache::put('foo', 'bar', 15);
New Method FirstWhere in Collection
A new function firstWhere() integrated with collection object is introduced. There is no more need to use first (), as it is possible to get a single object using the firstWhere () method.
$collection = collect([ ['name' => 'Hardik', 'age' => 25], ['name' => 'Vimal', 'age' => 24], ['name' => 'Harshad', 'age' => 23], ]); $collection->firstWhere('name', 'Vimal'); // ['name' => 'Vimal', 'age' => 24]
Unquoted MySQL JSON Values in Database
Let’s take a look at how Laravel guide that illustrates the change:
$value = DB::table('users')->value('options->language'); dump($value); // Laravel 5.7… '"en"' // Laravel 5.8… 'En'
Slack and Nexmo Notification channels:
The notification channels of Slack and Nexmo has been eliminated from the main Laravel project, and it has been extracted into the first party packages.
This is what you need to use to apply:
- composer require laravel/nexmo-notification-channel
- composer require laravel/slack-notification-channel
Why Laravel is Entrepreneur’s Best Friend
The above-listed features make Laravel a feature-rich framework. The reason, we discussed the latest features because implementing these features ensure better performance of your Laravel application and make your application fast and high-performing of all times. Moving if you are still wondering why enterprises are embracing it, then let’s take a closer look at the significant benefits.
- As an entrepreneur, if you want to bring your application/product at earliest to the market, then Laravel – Php’s most advanced framework is an important choice. To show application/product unique apart from the herd, you will opt for a highly customized solution, but unfortunately, it takes too much time to complete the project. Whereas, Laravel with its readily available functionalities and built-in libraries help you get the custom ready project to the market in no time. Laravel is known for incredible UX and rich features.
- Laravel let you transform your web experience to enhance the experience of your users and ensure a smooth transition while scaling your solution. Laravel is seamless for those with a long-term and strong vision. You can comprise the flexibility and reinvent the solution to meet the end user’s needs and change market dynamics. The strong Laravel community is so much support with the evolution of the application to advance the new user requirements.
- Building a custom web application with the help of the Laravel framework is cost-effective within a mentioned timeline. You will get a choice of your application in a specified period. Instead of spending less on the framework you can leverage scalability and customization benefits. The most favorable thing about this framework is decent costing in building a Laravel based application.
- Laravel is a dynamic framework, and it helps to build websites take a potential business idea at the certain notches up. It provides flexibility to the developers to build multilingual solutions to make it more accessible for a border customer case.
- Amongst the most significant benefits, Laravel provides excellent performance when it comes to enterprise websites. Laravel provides a various resource such as Redis, Memcached for the specific accomplishment of enterprise websites.
What makes Laravel suitable for “enterprise- grade” web application
- Laravel queues provide a centralized API over the various queue backends and for a relational database
- Laravel executes dependency injection and powerfully manages class dependencies
- Laravel events let you implement an observer to assist you to subscribe to any event occurring in your application
User-friendliness is one of the most outstanding characteristics of Laravel as it simultaneously upsurges the scalability of your application as it grows
When it comes to dealing with the domain problem of the application the issue allied with the framework is least concern. Laravel is capable of binding the large-scale application with a million counts of views. There are several factors that you can use to secure your application.
- It is advisable to make use of Memcached or Redis to use t cache or session driver. In the case of Laravel, it is mandatory to apply route: cache, config: cache. Furthermore, make sure you are working on composer dump-autoload-optimize.
- Ensure to separate your database from the web server. At the time of scaling, it is handy to add to another server.
That’s it! In this 2nd part. We’ve come a long way from where we started. From the Laravel alternatives to enterprise and entrepreneur benefits of using the Laravel framework. I hope, you’ve learned about the latest Laravel functionalities and entrepreneur benefits of opting Laravel framework. Irrelevant of whatever framework you choose to develop large-scale applications, it is advisable to consider a lot of other things like, caching mechanism, DevOps things, unique application logic, database, etc. These all the things perfectly fit with the Laravel framework.
In the final part of the series, you will learn about Laravel from the technical business perspective. We will also discuss why it’s the best PHP framework in 2019 and the Laravel framework’s effectiveness from the developer’s perspective.
So, what are your thoughts? Please let me know if you have any questions or comments below.